Saturday, October 6, 2012

Steam for Windows on Mac in Wine

I use a Mac, but occasionally I want to run Windows games. I usually try to use Wine if possible, because it means I don't have to reboot to run my games. The other day my friend told me about a cool sounding game on Steam, and suggested I play the demo. The catch? It was only released for Windows. I decided to try installing Steam for Windows in Wine, but every time I tried to run the installer, it gave me the following error message "wine: Bad EXE format for Z: /path/to/SteamInstall.msi"... At first I thought it was a problem with Wine, but after some research I found the following forum page, in which a helpful person called "schtufbox" gave instructions on how to execute .msi files in Wine.

Apparently (and this worked!) instead of typing "wine ./file.msi", you type "wine msiexec /i file.msi". I tried it and it worked! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Wine is all very well, but it will always have issues. I don't know how good your computer is but if you can id just install virtualbox or some type of virtual hosting program and that will solve all your issues with OS conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have VMWare and BootCamp, but I find that if I can get WINE to work it has better performance than VMWare, and saves rebooting.

    ReplyDelete